Sunday, January 4, 2009

Charlotte's Web

I just finished reading Charlotte's Web by E.B. White to the boys this evening. I think it might be the first time I've actually read it myself, though the copy I have was given to me when I was very young. I remember Miss H (see post below) reading it to my class, but that might be the last time I heard the story.

The boys were enthralled from the first chapter. What I thought would take the better part of a month to read to them, took only about five nights, as after each chapter the boys begged for just one more, and I usually obliged.

As most readers probably know the story, I won't give a full review here. Simply put, it is a sweet story of friendship and love, and the sacrifices one is willing to make for her beloved. As I read the final few chapters I had to really swallow the lump in my throat--if the boys see Mom getting misty, well, suffice it to say, they're not going to join Wilbur in his teary moments, and Mom probably shouldn't either! But we loved the book. A highly-recommended read-aloud.

No comments: