Monday, April 19, 2010

Favorite Music

Our boys have a penmanship book in which they practice their cursive handwriting. In their book each day they are asked to copy a verse from Scripture, or answer a question about their favorite this or that. Today the topic was music.

As I've mentioned here before, we listen to classical music each day during school. Naturally the boys have their favorites, and they both listed them in their best cursive handwriting. On both lists were Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. Though I try to save this one mainly for play during the Christmas season, they would both listen to it year-round.

Another piece that they both like is Beethoven's 7th Symphony. I have to admit to this being a current favorite of mine, too, especially the second movement. I was unfamiliar with it until a couple of months ago when my husband and I watched the Nicholas Cage movie, Knowing. At the end of the movie when the world is about to be destroyed, strangely enough, the most beautiful music begins. I took note of it as we watched, and purposely watched all the end credits to find out the name and composer of the piece. When I saw it was Beethoven's 7th, I knew I needed to add it to our music collection. I did, and the boys soon picked up on it too, to the point that my oldest can be heard humming it frequently. I highly recommend it to those who enjoy classical music!

The final favorite on my youngest son's list would make any mother proud. What was it that he placed in the company of such masters as Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Handel?? Are you ready?

The Chipmunks.

What can I say, the boy has taste.

God bless you!

No comments: