Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Trying Something New

I am very happy to say my appointment with our Family doctor went well. He has prescribed for me a drug called Naltrexone, with the hope that it will indeed halt the progression of my MS.

Naltrexone is a drug that’s been around for years, but it was not originally intended to treat auto-immune diseases like MS. However, a couple of physicians in the U.S. have found this drug, in a low dose form, to be effective in patients with MS and other disorders.

After years of being on interferon injections three times per week, and watching my MS continue to progress all the while, I am thrilled that my doctor will prescribe it for me (not all docs, including my own neurologist, are willing to prescribe it). This is an oral med to be taken nightly before bed…. Hooray! No more needles!

While the research done on Naltrexone for MS is, at this time, limited, the anecdotal evidence is abundant, and much of it is glowing. MSers are finding not only is it slowing down and even halting disease progression, many are experiencing symptom relief as well.

I am hopeful; at the same time, I am guarded. I know this medicine is not a cure for MS. I also know what it is to be disappointed when a promising therapy does little to help me. Will I be one writing a glowing testimony of my improvement on Naltrexone? Only God knows, and the outcome is truly in His hands. Still, I can’t help but be enthusiastic to begin.

I am so thankful for this doctor we have. Without him I don’t know if I would have had the opportunity to try Naltrexone. But what makes it even better, is that he is a faithful Catholic who cares for our family body and soul.

As he gave me the prescription and sent me on my way, the last thing he said to me was, ‘You will be in my prayers.’

Now that’s good medicine!

* * *

St. Jude, Pray for Us!

2 comments:

cmziall said...

We are continuing to pray for you as well!

My oldest has psoriasis. About 3 years ago he was doing pretty bad and we just couldn't get him cleared up! It was frustrating for me and very "annoying" for him and I kept wondering why God allowed this for this particular child. Some of the others would've dealt with it much better and maybe THIS is why! Anyway, my point to this story is that his dermatologist wanted to put him on Methotrexate (cancer drug) and I was pretty worked up about it at first and it kind of freaked me out. Part of the reason it freaked me out was because we had to have his blood drawn regularly to keep an eye on his liver function. . . .long story short (or not so short! LOL!) he was on it for a short time and we gradually weaned him off of it and it all was good!

I pray that this will be good for you and that it will work!

May God bless you and keep you in His care.

Peklet Mom said...

We will keep praying! God's Will be done.