Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day


Being a Mom is something I will never take for granted. I celebrated my first Mother's Day 12 years ago, in Portland, OR. I remember going to Mass at Holy Rosary Church that day with my husband and 3 1/2 month old baby boy and receiving a lovely pink carnation. Though it doesn't now look so lovely, I have that dried carnation in my curio cabinet to this day.

I remember so very many Mother's Days before that one. I would watch other moms celebrating the day while I was left with the yearning in my heart to join them. It seemed like years came and went until finally I was honored beyond words to be among the moms on that Mother's Day in 2000. I was 36 years old.

God has blessed us richly with our two sons, now 10 and 12. Being a mom is ever-challenging, ever-rewarding, often difficult, but so very satisfying. After so many years of longing, I can now imagine doing nothing else. All my humble thanks to Our Lord in Heaven for honoring me with this vocation.

And a special prayer to Our Blessed Mother for that young woman out there who is still longing for motherhood as I did for so many years.  Hail Mary...

A Blessed and Happy Mother's Day to all moms!

No comments: