Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday.... and....

I'll get to the 'and' in a minute. First things first.

Today is Good Friday, the day in which each year we remember Our Lord's Passion. He has already been betrayed by Judas and taken to prison. Today He will be scourged, crowned with thorns, and sentenced to death by crucifixion. He will carry His cross to Calvary, where on that cross the spotless Lamb of God will shed His blood and die for the sins of the world.

In remembrance of this, we fast, we abstain from eating meat; we mortify our own flesh, offering our own sufferings back to Him in thanksgiving for His sacrifice which was all for you and me.

It can be interesting trying to impart these ideas and practices to the kids. Of course they are not at the age where they must fast as adults do. But I do let them know we will not have treats today, nor excess of the things we like. This morning my oldest got on a stool and, before I realized it, was helping himself to a chunk or two of brown sugar out of the brown sugar cannister. When I looked up and saw him I quickly told him, "Nooo, J, remember it's Good Friday!" He immediately pulled his hand out, indeed remembering, and knowing we shouldn't indulge on this day (not, mind you, that ANY day is OK to raid the brown sugar!!)

This afternoon our family will go to Church for the Liturgy and Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ. And we will all the more look forward to His Resurrection on Easter Sunday.

Oh.... and....

Today my husband and I celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary! In 1999, April 10 was on Easter Saturday, and thus the church on that day was decked out with Easter Lilies and other beautiful flowers. It was a lovely day, forever etched in my memory, the day we wed. But today, 10 years later, it falls on Good Friday. And so, but for the beautiful dozen red roses my husband brought home last night, and cards exchanged between us, we will postpone celebrating with dinner out to Eastertide.

Blessed Good Friday to all.
Happy Anniversay, honey. And thank you for ten wonderful years.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Happy Anniversary!